Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pirinç Pilavı- "Rice Pilaf"


    Although I technically know how to make rice, I could rarely make some that wasn't raw or burnt, too crunchy or too wet. One summer in Turkey, I was recruited to help with dinner. I was chosen to make the rice pilaf ( albeit, a very simple one without şehriye (orzo) )I immediately swapped with my husband's young niece, Zeynep. I used the excuse that I didn't know how they liked it, and instead made a salad. Later on, as we ate the wonderful meal, I whispered to Zeynep that I could never get my rice to turn out like that. She admitted that her difficulty came from pasta. I came to find out that no matter how often she tried, she could not make makarna (macaroni) without it turning out like my failed rice.

Zeynep (with Kerem)

        Despite knowing the 2-to-1 liquid-to-rice ratio, it always gave me trouble. Finally, I have figured out how to make a pilav  that my husband will eat without grimacing. 


    *Adjust to make enough to feed your family*


2 cups of white long-grain rice
4 cups of chicken stock or water (even with just water, this rice can stand alone)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
Orzo- I use about 1/4 cup, but use enough to cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer.


Pour the oil into a medium size pot or deep skillet (that has a lid). Heat it to medium-high and sprinkle a single layer of Orzo (enough to cover the bottom of the pan).


Stir occasionally to insure that the orzo browns evenly without browning. Add the uncooked rice and stir to coat.


Add the salt, then pour in your stock or water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
             
serving suggestion



No comments:

Post a Comment